Monday, April 29, 2013

The work has started...finally

This week's forecast: Sunny with temperatures between 65 and 72 degrees Fahrenheit. Niiiiice

I FINALLY got some work done this past weekend. On Friday a very nice lady stopped by our house and asked if she could take our leaf bags from around our house. I was thrilled, to say the least. Since the in-laws have yet to return from their winter Florida pilgrimage, I was trying to figure out how we were going to get rid of them this year. I didn't want to wait much longer - there are plants growing under there.

This nice woman, whom I won't name here, uses leaves for what she called a permanent mulch system. I hadn't heard of that before but basically it's using whole leaves as a mulch, stacking them about six inches deep and planting in the dirt beneath. Apparently she adds just as much every year and over time they all break down. Sounds like a good method to me - I know leaves are supposed to be excellent for compost - I just didn't know you could use just leaves like that.

But anywhoo, she came over on Saturday and we filled up her big dump-truck twice with the leaf bags and we were both happy as clams. Her for getting all the leaves she needs and me for getting rid of the ugly bags with even less hassle than usual.

Now, I can start really cleaning up and assessing the damage the moles did. Looks like they might have eaten the Phlox plants I transplanted two years ago. The bed is riddled with tunnels and I'm thinking about burying large containers in the bed instead of planting directly in-ground. Maybe then I can keep some plants over there for more than a year at a time.


No comments:

Post a Comment