Monday, August 22, 2011

Fun with Macros

Today's Weather: Mostly sunny, high of 73 degrees Fahrenheit. Nice.

I'm still in my funk but it hasn't stopped me from taking pictures of the flowers out in the gardens. So today, we're going to get up close and personal with the winners of the garden beds.

Black-Eyed Susans
First up is that wild thing with that devil-may-care attitude - the Black Eyed Susan. Located in the wilds of the field, this group of flowers sprouted after the mid-summer field cutting giving us some unexpected yet welcome color to the field.

Petunias
Next are the Petunias. The baskets I planted in the front have withered and died but the Petunias I planted in pots behind the house (where nobody by we can see them) are doing wonderfully. These are my particular favorites of the multi-colored blossoms. I love the dark pink veins.

Tall Phlox
Never known to disappoint, the tall Phlox are doing particularly well this year. The white has given some blooms with a hint of pink and they are particularly lovely after a light rain shower.

Queen Anne's Lace
Another wild child of the field, the Queen Anne's Lace is popping up all over the place. The clusters of delicate white flowers make our large expanse of 'nothing' very pretty.

Snap Dragons
Back in the beds, the Snap Dragons are caged up and blooming profusely. All of them have come out this nice magenta color with yellow highlights. I will definitely be planting more of these in the future.

Wild Flower
Still in the beds, this wildflower has many brothers and sisters filling the bed with a warm, golden glow.

Wild Flower
These particular wild flowers have certainly brightened up the beds.

Zinnia - minus a few petals
Although something ate most of my Zinnia sprouts, one actually survived and gave me several flowers. This was the first and although it's damaged, it's still pretty.

Grasshopper
And lastly, here's a close-up of a garden visitor who was kind enough to sit still for several minutes, allowing me to have a nice photo shoot before he hopped away into my Petunia pot.

No comments:

Post a Comment