Monday, June 13, 2011

So Much to Blog, So Little Time

Today's Weather: Overcast and 60 degrees Fahrenheit. It's been rather chilly for a few days now.

So, the weather isn't so great right now. Not terrible, but not great. We had a few nice days last week, then we had a couple of pretty bad thunderstorms complete with hail. Global Climate Change can be such a bitch.

So, since it doesn't look like I'll be doing much gardening the next few days, perhaps I can get caught up posting on what I HAVE done.

Let's get started, shall we?

I think I'll start off with problems. Not to be a downer, but I'd rather get those out of the way. First, my tomatoes.

I finally planted the vegetable garden on June 5th. I found a couple of double metal hooks for my tomatoes and put them up. I stupidly used dirt from the garden itself which proved to be too heavy for the hooks so I dumped the dirt and replaced it with potting soil. Amazingly enough, the three tomato plants and one Green Pepper plant survived the ordeal and looked pretty nice.

Lookin' Good
But then the big thunderstorms came through along with some hail. When I got home that night, I found this:

My poor tomatoes were squashed. I didn't take pictures but the green planters did the same thing. At first I thought the hooks had bent again (that happened when I put in regular garden dirt) but what had actually happened was that my garden turned into a big mudhole and it couldn't keep the thin metal rods upright.

So, I lay the plants on their sides until the ground dried up a bit.
Waiting to dry
It finally did dry out  - a little. I built up the dirt around the poles and even added some heavy rocks. So far, so good. It has rained since then and they're all still upright. Hopefully there will no more tomato faceplants this season.

They have all done well, despite falling right on the ground, as you can see below. They're all growing. Hopefully they'll flower soon.
Growing Tomatoes
And here's my other troublespot:

Discolored Hosta
One of my Hosta plants has this discoloring. It looks like the leaves bent and the crease got really weak. Thing is, I don't remember the leaves getting bent like that.

Anyone have any ideas?

No comments:

Post a Comment