Friday, June 3, 2011

Long Weekend

Today's Weather: Partly cloudy with a high of 68 degrees Fahrenheit - cool even for Maine, but very nice.

So, what happened to me, eh? I didn't really drop off the face of the earth, I was just too busy digging in it to post anything last week. Actually, it was more like I was too tired after doing the digging to do anything but lie around and groan about my new aches and pains and all the mosquito bites.

I did overdo it on my long holiday weekend and I'm paying the price for it but I'm starting to feel better - just in time to do some more garden work this weekend. :)

And I didn't get everything done to get 'caught up.' Oh well, so I'll be a little behind this year. It's nice when it's only me making the schedule - easy to amend it when necessary.

I did get the flower beds cleaned up. All of my rock borders had been grown over and weren't doing any good to anyone. I couldn't see them and they weren't holding back the grass for easier mowing.

Front North - Before

Front North - After
As you can see, I also added a few new plants - some Salvia and some hanging potted Petunias to give some vertical interest.

Front South - Before

Front South - After
In this bed I added another hanging pot of petunias and a Foxglove plant. (It's hard to see in this picture - it's between the Azalea and Hydrangea.)

Iris Bed - Before

Iris Bed - After

Kitchen Side - Before

Kitchen Side - After

Phlox Bed - Before
For all the stone borders, I had to actually pull the grass out by the roots which lead to a lot of the aches and pains I mentioned. Grass really doesn't like to come out of the ground.

Phlox Bed - During

Phlox Bed - After
In addition to bed clean-up, I also created an entirely new bed. As I mentioned in earlier posts, my father-in-law planted three Lilac Bush seedlings on the shady side of our garage. He's been complaining about how hard it is to mow around them now so I decided to make a new bed.

New Bed - Before
However, there was no way I was going to pull all that grass. So, I decided to try something I had read about online. I lay down newspapers to shape out the bed I wanted around the Lilac bushes. I weighed them down with the pile of loose asphalt that's been next to the garage since before we moved in - which I absolutely hated - so it was a win/win for me.

New Bed - During
And then, I covered it all with mulch, moving the asphalt back from the edges so that the lawnmower doesn't catch them and send them flying.

New Bed - After
This will, hopefully, kill the grass underneath. Next year, I can either remove the asphalt or just leave it there and dig around it to plant some shade plants. I'm not going to bother this year because I want that grass to die first. This might look a little bare, but it certainly looks a lot better than it did with foot high grass that couldn't be mowed. If the bareness really starts to bother me, I'll just pot some flowers and set them on top of the mulch.

A lot of my flowering plants/bushes put on a nice show for me while I was working out there.

Immortality Iris

Crimson Azalea

Lilac Bush (with Bee)

My new Foxglove plant
The Foxglove plant was my spontaneous purchase this year. I've always liked them, they were on sale and I needed another tall plant on the south side of my front garden to balance out the tall purple Liatrus Spicata I have on the north side.

I think my front flower garden might actually not look pathetic this year. Woo hoo!

Now, to get started on the vegetable garden...

1 comment:

  1. Well, I check in on you because I love seeing what is going on in your garden (good progress), and what is going on in my beloved Maine. I can't wait to get there and dig in, albeit in a much smaller way than you're gardening.

    All joys,

    Sharon Lovejoy Writes from Sunflower House and a Little Green Island

    ReplyDelete