Monday, May 2, 2011

The New Flower Bed

This past weekend's weather: Perfect work weather. Sunny with a high in the mid-60's. It felt a little chilly at first but once I started working, it was perfect.

As I have mentioned several times before, one of my big plans for this season was a new shade garden in our back yard. We have a corner that used to store yard debris and after it was finally cleared, it was still an eyesore.

No more piles of yard trash but...bleah
So, on Saturday I went for a little drive to the family gravel pit (yes, you read that right - the family gravel pit) and picked out some nice, large rocks with which to line the bed.

I laid them out to make sure I had enough and to get the right placement for the rocks.

Enough for a small bed
And then I started loosening up the dirt and pulling what little grass there was from the ground. I came across a lot of worms which made me happy but I also came across a lot of roots from the nearby Maple trees.

Need an upper body workout? Try some weeding.
I only had to do this for the front half of the bed - the back half was already nothing but dirt so it went relatively fast.

'Tilled' and ready for weeding
I then went to town getting rid of any green stuff I could find inside the bed, making sure to shake off all the dirt that I could. I wanted a 'raised' bed effect but didn't want to have to bring any dirt in to fill it out. Fortunately, I had plenty.

More sun than I thought
I planted the three Hosta plants (Minuteman variety) that I had started inside and also planted a Bleeding Heart plant and some Lily of the Valley. I don't know if they'll take - I bought them cheap from a big box - but my sister-in-law split her Bleeding Heart plant and gave me a nice-sized starter plant for the bed as well (not in the picture.)

And, finally, I added some mulch.

Ladybug Garden
As you can see, I added almost all of my ladybug decor to the garden so I named it The Ladybug Garden. Yeah, I know. Real original.

I will also plant something in the big green pot in the back, hopefully to hide that ugly wall. I've tried cleaning that stain that's a result of a large branch leaning against the house but I haven't had much luck. I' also going to add some mulch around the bed to keep the walkway weed-free and to make it a bit more attractive.

All in all, I think this will be much nicer to look at on those hot Summer afternoons while I read books outside as the dog sniffs in the field.

3 comments:

  1. Awesome new bed and I need access to the "family gravel pit". That sounds incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work; I've been bed building too. It's rewarding when it's over!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, guys! Yes, having a gravel pit just down the road is very helpful, especially when you're on a tight budget.

    ReplyDelete