Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Garden Visitors

Today's Weather: Sunny with a high in the low 60's. A very nice day for what was supposed to be rainy and cooler.

In some aspects I'm not the luckiest of gardeners. The land I live on isn't really my own so I have to get the okay before building new beds away from the sides of the house. I don't have enough funds for the projects I'd like to do. My front flower beds have clay soil.

But there is one area in which I have a lot of luck - no deer. I believe our dog is the cause of that. She roams our yard and the field around it and even though we've seen deer at the edge of the woods, they have rarely come very close to the house.

In fact, we don't have many annoying wild visitors at all. We sometimes get a pesky squirrel or chipmunk and the moles can wreak havoc in bad winters, but other than that I haven't had many garden problems from any of the wild animals nearby.

(My first vegetable garden was ransacked by field mice, but that only happened one season four years ago.)

I do have some nice visitors, however. As long as I provide the free lunch.

Hello, my little Chickadee
The Chickadee is the Maine state bird and as long as I keep seeds out, we always have a ton of them in the back yard. They're pretty fearless and if you stand still and don't try to scare them, they'll get pretty close. The above and below pictures weren't taken with a zoom at all.


As summer goes on we get various visitors such as red-winged blackbirds, mourning doves, blue jays, several varieties of woodpeckers and some wild canaries.

The canary waits for the chickadee to leave
I'm always on the lookout for cardinals - I've always loved them - but have never seen any. Perhaps they don't like my seeds.

3 comments:

  1. Whilst bed building I moved some rocks to discover frogs or toads, not sure which. Now I have to work out what they like as I don't want to evict them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love watching birds. We have a feeder right outside our living room windows so we have a great view of the visitors. We have a cardinal pair that frequent the feeder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. GrafixMuse - what seeds do you leave out that attracts the Cardinals?

    ReplyDelete