Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Sights Around the Yard

Today's Weather: Sunny (yay!) and a high of 44 degrees (boo)

The extended winter is still in force here in Central Maine. We haven't gotten above 47 degrees in the past two weeks and we're not supposed to until Saturday. The foot of snow dumped on us last Friday is still here and still deep in places, although it is melting away. Slowly. Very, very slowly.

But things are growing out there.

I'm cold, lady. Where's Spring?
The Rhododendron looks to be fine, although a little sad, in its snow drift. Still, it's nice to see some green even if surrounded by the now-hated white stuff.

Stay away. I'll prick you.
The wild rose bush was the first thing to have any buds this year. Since I didn't cut it to the ground last Fall I'm hoping for some flowers. It didn't give me any last year - I didn't realize it wouldn't bloom on new wood - but when it does flower, they smell wonderful.


Room with a View
The Lilac Bush also has leaf buds. So far, this bush has never disappointed with its beautiful foliage and plentiful blooms. I expect the same this year.
Doubled Again
I've written about the Family Tulips before and about how their numbers have been growing every year despite the age of the original bulbs. Well, they did it again this year. I counted 20 sprouts. I think I'm going to have to dig them up this fall and split the bulbs. I'm afraid they're going to start killing each other out if I just leave them be.

Soon to be Daffy
Oh, to be a Hyacinth
Speaking of bulb growth...it looks like all those Daffodil bulbs I planted last Fall are doing what they're supposed to. When there isn't snow on the ground, I see sprouts in every location I planted.

The three Hyacinth bulbs I planted last year are also sprouting. I bought those to brighten up the kitchen last year and now they'll continue to brighten our yard every Spring.

So, things are not as bleak as I may have been making them to be. I'm just very winter-weary and eager for real Spring temperatures to arrive. It would also be nice to be snow-free for more than 24 hours.

2 comments:

  1. Just came across your blog. You look like you are just a tad ahead of us. We're in northeast Ontario, zone 4a. Wonderful signs of spring!

    ReplyDelete