Friday, April 15, 2011

Information Request

HELP!
Today's Weather: Sunny with a high of 44 degrees Fahrenheit. A little chilly, but at least it's not snowing.

I need some information. I've done my Google search but I'm having trouble finding out what I need to know.

What I need is a list of perennials that need to be or can be cut to the ground every Fall and that will grow back nicely every season like Tall Phlox. I would also like to know of any plants that have no problem being covered and essentially smushed flat like Hosta or Bearded Iris.

I'm considering planting all of the beds against my house with these types of Perennials because, quite frankly, I'm tired of buying nice Roses, Hydrangeas, Azaleas, etc. just to have them crushed by the banking we have to put around the house every winter. It's pissing me off and making me sad.

The plants I have on my list so far are Tall Phlox, Creeping Phlox, Hosta, Daylilies and Bearded Iris. These are nice plants but I want to know what's available to me before I fill all my beds with these flowers.

If you know of anymore, please leave any suggestions in the comments. I would very much appreciate it!

2 comments:

  1. We get over 10 feet of snow per season, so ALL my perennials are buried for at least 5 months of the year under heavy wet snow. I've had terrific luck with Rudbeckias, Echinaceas (coneflowers), Mums,Stachys,Dianthus,Daisies,Nepeta, Perovskia (Russian Sage) and any of the perennial Sages.
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Sue! I'll add those to my list.

    ReplyDelete