Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Front Flower Garden Planning

Today's weather: 32 degrees F, Snow. We've had a lot of snow the past week and there's still more to come. Yesterday was nice, though. Sunny and 36.


My front flower garden has never looked 'good.' I always seem to have one side that does okay while the other side is a barren wasteland - and no, it's not consistent. One year, the North side does well, the next year, the South side. It makes it look lopsided and sloppy, which I hate.

Then there was the year that neither side produced anything, but I'd rather not speak of that.

I have noticed that shrubs seem to do well no matter what side they're on, so I have decided that the front garden will be all shrubs and bushes. (But I reserve the right to renig on that decision.)

I like roses, I always have. I've had several over the years - including two from last year - and they've done well as long as rodents don't eat their roots and as long as I can keep family members from convincing me to cut them down to the ground.

I know many 'serious' gardeners do not like Knock-Out roses, and I can understand why, but they did really well for me when I had one a few years back. I can't remember exactly what happened to that bush, but I think it was overzealous banking of the house one winter.

So, to cut to the chase, I plan to move my two existing bushes (assuming they survived the winter) to the front to join the Hydrangea, rhododendron and Azalea bushes and I'm going to plant some Knock-Out roses around them. I'll then fill up the empty spaces with some companion plants, which I haven't decided on yet, and hope that they all get along.




3 comments:

  1. Is there anything more exciting than planning this time of year? Looove it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's nothing wrong with Knock Out Roses. They are a wonderful disease resistant and pretty low maintenance plant. You have a nice combination going. Perhaps try some Ilex 'Compacta' as an evergreen backdrop. Also daylilies go nicely with Knock out Rose. This is a wonderful time of year to plan-have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, I have some Daylilies already. Thanks for the suggestions, Lee! And yes to you both, planning is fun this time of the year. Keeps me sane...somewhat.

    ReplyDelete