Friday, October 1, 2010

October's Birth Flower

Today's weather: Awful. 70's, very muggy. Not the way I wanted to start October, but tomorrow looks to be much better (clear and in the mid-60's).

Haven't posted much lately. Quite frankly, there's not much to post. The vegetable garden is done. The only thing left in it is my Marigold Ring and those Marigold bushes. The bushes will be pulled this weekend to make way for our Halloween Graveyard. Muah-ha-ha-ha.

In the meantime, it's time to celebrate this month's birth flower which is, very appropriately, the Calendula, more commonly known as the Marigold.


Calendula are symbols of Sacred Affection, Cruelty, Grief, and Jealousy. This is one passionate flower.

Despite their stinky smell (and sometimes because of it) the Marigold is one of my favorite flowers. They're easy to grow, brighten up any dark spot in a garden and bloom all season long. They'll live and continue to bloom until the first hard frost. I also found out this year that if you plant them from seed, they can grow to about four feet tall and produce huge blooms. They're also good at keeping deer away.

I hope everyone's having a good Fall so far. I'm not done garden blogging for the year just yet. My front flower garden is still going strong. Heck, that damn Dahlia bulb I planted in April just now produced buds. I'll also be sure to post pics of the forthcoming awesomeness that will be our Halloween grave yard.

Yeah, okay, it'll probably be pretty lame, but I can dream.

3 comments:

  1. HI Brandi: Just letting you know I stopped by to say Hi and read some of your blog. Have to agree fall is upon us all and winter is coming right behind it.

    Have a wonderful evening,
    John

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enough talk of autumn and winter! I demand a few more weeks summer, and I don't care if it is dark, wet and cold, I am refusing to give up shorts and sandals and t-shirts just yet. Mind you, I'm bloody freezing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Weather is all a state of mind, eh?

    ReplyDelete