Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Obligatory Blog Post About Not Blogging

Today's Weather: Sunny and very chilly. I woke up to find the first frost on the car this morning. I'm not sure if it was our area's first frost of the year or not, but it was the first I saw.

Haven't been blogging much. If you're a regular visitor (a very rare breed, you are) I apologize. Hopefully the following plethora of images will make up for it a little bit.

First off, let's see some pictures of what this blog is supposed to be about, eh? The gardens.

Not much to speak of, really. The vegetable garden has been put away - old plants pulled and composted, new compost mixed into the soil, etc. The only thing left is the bird bath Marigold ring and I've posted enough pictures of that.

I'm basically just waiting for the flowers to finally die. They're hanging on longer than usual (for me) this year. I would say this is good except for the fact that I'm not doing a very good job at upkeep and they're presently full of leaves.

Leafy Bed
The bare dirt spot is where I planted some daffodil bulbs. I plan to finish that chore next week while I'm on vacation. If you squint you can see that my Dahlia (in the black pot) finally decided to bloom. I waited months for that thing and I'm not really a fan of the flower it produced. Oh well, at least it adds some color.

Even more leaves
The little Hosta decided it wanted to bloom late, too. The frost this morning probably stopped that but it was nice that it tried. The red Salvia and Marigolds are still going strong.

Halloween is on its way
My purple Petunias had an amazing comeback a month or so ago and they're still doing well. They look pretty good against the Ghoulish Trio, don't you think?

Still Blooming
Boy, was I ever wrong about my Sunbright rose bush. After it gave me the one bloom earlier this Summer, I was convinced that was the only yellow rose I was going to get. It gave me many this season, including one that bloomed just this past week. Pretty, isn't it? There's one bud left but it will most likely get snipped to encourage the bush to go to sleep for the winter.

And that's it for the garden. Even if the flowers are still alive next week they'll probably be pulled. The in-laws will no doubt be itching to get the house wrapped up for winter, which means all the flower beds will be underneath some kind of insulation. Ugh. Ugly House - how I dread it.

But I won't think about that today. I'll think about that tomorrow - because today I still have all the lovely fall foliage to look at. Take a look for yourself:

Leaves all around
One of our front yard Maples

My favorite tree - almost bare

Sun through the branches

Entrance to the snowmobile trail at the back of our field

Along the trail, looking up

Along the trail, looking back

The other entrance to the trail

Along the trail, looking up

A mossy stump on the trail - and my dog, China

Halloween Buds
Hope you enjoyed the Fall Fest!

3 comments:

  1. What beautiful autumn foliage you have there! I need to go away from our place to find yellow and red colors, since we have only green evergreens (I like it - green evergreens!) around our house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful trail you have! I love fall colors. The winds here have picked up and taken down the remaining leaves. It was a SHORT display this year............

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your pictures are just gorgeous! You see the beauty in what others might just see as ordinary. Thank you for posting.
    GJ

    ReplyDelete