Monday, August 9, 2010

The reason I even started all this

The weather this past weekend was wonderful. On Saturday it felt like early Autumn - the temperature never got above 73 degrees. It got up to 80 on Sunday but the humidity was low and it was quite comfortable. Today it's not hot at all, but it is warm and the humidity has creeped up. We've had a humid summer this year, especially compared to last year. Funny, it rained a LOT last year but it wasn't an uncomfortable season.

Anyway, today was the day. My first tomato became completely ripe and I ate it with my lunch. I don't even know which kind it was - I grabbed it from the bush and skipped inside, giddy that it was finally red. I didn't even pause long enough to take a snapshot of it's beautiful color and form - no blemishes, no spots, no gnaw marks from field critters. It was perfect.

NOT WELCOME!
But sweet. It's the sweetest tomato I've ever grown. I liked it, don't get me wrong, it just surprised me when I bit into it. Along with that sweetness was a tartness I wasn't used to either. I'll have to make a note of which bush I plucked it from when I get home. I need to make sure to plant the same type next year.

Tomatoes are the reason I started vegetable gardening in the first place. Home grown tomatoes make store-bought taste like cardboard in comparison and it's this time of year that I most look forward to in my gardening life. I sometimes have enough to share with relatives, but when it comes to tomatoes, I generally eat them as fast as they ripen. This year, since I haven't had any problems with Hornworms (quick - where's some wood to knock!) I might just be able to share.

But don't count on it.

2 comments:

  1. Yay for your first tomato! Boy it has been a hot one this year, hasn't it. Hopefully the humidity will diminish a bit tomorrow. Enjoy those tomatoes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I share your excitement... there's something wonderful about that first tomato, isn't there?! Your post is delightful.

    ReplyDelete