Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Already?!

So, these have been blowing across our yard for the past week or so:

Pretty....wait....that's not a Summer color!
And this past weekend I looked up into one of our backyard Maples, looking for some birds, when I spotted this:

Definitely not a Summer color
So, Fall is on its way...already.

Fall is actually my favorite season - always has been and probably always will be - but since becoming a gardener I've become much more fond of Summer than I used to be. I used to loathe Summer. I grew up in Missouri, southeast Texas and Arkansas and the heat was nearly unbearable. It can get hot here in Maine but it's nothing compared to the south.

This Summer had a long bout of pretty bad heat and it has been a relatively dry season. That doesn't bode well for a colorful Autumn season, but I'm not going to complain. I'm just glad I live in a region that actually has changes of season and I'm especially happy to live in an area of the country that has such beautiful Fall colors.

It's a little early, but if you'd like to see some photographs of Maine Falls from the past five years, visit my Maine Fall Foliage photo album.

1 comment:

  1. We needed some of your heat here. Our summer was cool, so we don't have tomatoes yet. Garden is not a garden for me without tomatoes... And fall is coming, you are right. I am off to see your album. Happy gardening!

    ReplyDelete