Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Ugh, Ugh and Double Ugh! (Wait, wouldn't that be Triple Ugh?)

I know I shouldn't complain but I can't help it.

It is WAY TOO FRACKING HOT!!!!

Maine, in general, has very nice Summer weather. Sure, it'll get hot for a few days here and there but almost inevitably the temperatures will go down to something more tolerable after a day or so. For example, last Summer we used our bedroom air conditioner one night due to heat and humidity.

This year? We've had that puppy cranking for the past four nights in a row. I know, I know - all my southern readers are laughing at me and I don't blame them. I used to live in Florida and before that, Arkansas. Once May 1st hit, and usually sooner, the AC was turned on and it stayed on. In Florida, it was pretty much an all year thing.

But this heat is awful because we don't have the ACs to run like we used to in the south. In Florida it was necessary to even be able to breathe. Here, we only have it in the bedroom because we can't sleep when we're miserably hot. So, instead, we're miserable all day and only get relief at bedtime. Sure, we could just sit in our bedroom and read, write or surf the 'net but we don't particularly like to and, quite frankly, I feel guilty for leaving our dog downstairs to suffer in the heat without us. (She won't climb the stairs no matter how much we'd like her to sleep in the same room with us.)

So, here's me, whining and moaning about the heat. It looks like it might break on Saturday and get back down in the lower 80's, but we still have 2 1/2 more days of this oppressive heat, sun and humidity.

Oh yeah, and to make it so much more pleasant, our poor pooch got sprayed by a skunk last night. It was the first time she's ever been sprayed (I knew it was inevitable since we live in the country) and the first time she ever willingly got into the bathtub. Fortunately, the baking soda/peroxide/hand soap concoction my husband found online got the skunk smell out of her fur. Too bad it's still lingering on the front carpet.

And all during a week that opening the windows and airing out the house is just not an option. *Sigh*

2 comments:

  1. Brandi, I've been complaining, too. I rely on old-fashioned Maine air conditioning -- opening the windows at night, closing them up in the morning, and turning on fans when the air inside gets too warm to be comfortable. The other night, just as I was about to turn my fan on, the power went out (and was out for more than 6 hours). Quadruple ugh! -Jean

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jean, we utilize the same AC that you do. :) There was one night, though, that it was so hot that even the night air didn't relieve.

    We're lucky that we haven't had any power outages. (keeping my fingers crossed, knocking on wood...)

    ReplyDelete