Monday, May 3, 2010

Very Busy Weekend

May 1st's weather: Very sunny, high in the mid-70's
May 2nd's weather: Mostly cloudy, slight breeze, high in the low 80's, just a bit muggy

No posts this past weekend - but that's because I was in the garden all weekend long. I did eventually plant most of what I purchased on Thursday and Friday but most of my weekend was spent fixing up existing beds.

I did some work on the Garage-side bed last week but realized 'containing' just the tall Phlox was kind of stupid. It even looked a bit truncated.

Before any changes

Only Phlox Contained
So, I did what I should have done in the first place and 'contained' everything on the side of the garage, which included the Lilac bush. This caused an empty space between the Lilac bush and the Phlox, so I got some Coral Bells and planted them in the gap:

Finished Product
I also extended the little path to the door with flat stones. No one uses that door, so the path isn't really functional, but I thought the stones added some flavor to the whole thing:

Flat stone path
And that was my Saturday. It doesn't look like a large bed, but the area around the Phlox and Lilac bush was covered in thick grass. Pulling that was a real hassle.

On Sunday I worked on the South side of the house and just a little bit on the front.

You see, last year I created a new bed on the south side of the house because it was a plain white wall with no interest whatsoever. It was also the most visible side of the house for passersby and it seemed a waste not to have something pretty to show them. Problem was, I didn't think forward and didn't line the fencing with stones like I do everything else. The stones are aesthetically pleasing and, more importantly, keep grass and weeds away from the fencing making it easier to mow and keep looking neat.

I was going to use more stones, but decided to use the stack of bricks for which I've been trying to find a good use. Many were old and broken and made the border more interesting visually.

South Side Border
Between this bed and the Iris bed in front (which I also lined with bricks) was a triangular open area. Last year I stuck a pot of Petunias there and it looked nice, but the grass in that corner became unruly. So - more grass digging for me. I really liked the way it turned out:

Corner Bed
The plank of wood is for the pot that sits there. You can't tell in the picture, but that little triangle slopes down pretty steeply. I planted a few annuals in front of that plank of wood to fill it in.

Also in that same corner is my Hosta bed. There was really nothing to do to it except add some mulch. I also gave Alfie the Lady Beetle a job. I used to have a plan rock in the corner to level out the bed. I thought he would add some color to the corner.

Alfie's a working bug now


And, lastly, I worked a little bit on the front bed. I planted the Azalea bush and the Rhododendron I picked up on Friday. I planted them on opposite ends of the house. I also planted some Marigolds along the fronts of the beds.

Azalea Bush

Rhododendron Bush
As you can see, I ran out of mulch. I made sure to get the bushes done but I have to fill in the rest, which is okay since I don't have anything to plant there right now anyway and won't for at least another week.

It was a very long weekend and I can't believe how sore I am now. But, it's worth it to see the beds shaping up.

So, what did you do this weekend?

Rhododendrons & Azaleas: A Colour Guide

3 comments:

  1. Your refurbished beds look so wonderful. Laying bricks is a back breaking job but well worth the efforts later on when you can stand up without groaning again LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything looks so nice-great job.
    Don't you wish you could just snap your fingers and you could conjur up mulch? I hate running out of stuff mid-project. You did it smart using what you had around the bushes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy Moly I did nothing compared to you! The beds look great and the will really look great in the future. I do love when bloggers pan out and show their 'work sites' so we get a real idea of how the garden fits together.

    ReplyDelete