Wednesday, May 5, 2010

The Family Tulips

I've mentioned these before but I thought a short history on what I like to call 'The Family Tulips' might be of interest - or at least kill some time before I can get back into the garden again.

Our first Spring in this house was in 2005. In the front yard, close to the driveway, a lonely little tulip grew and opened up.

2005: All by myself...
My parents-in-law told me that that tulip had been blooming yearly for over a decade. There had once been a rather large bulb garden in that area that included tulips, daffodils, crocus, etc. but it had gradually died out. No one lived there anymore so the bed wasn't replenished. The tulip and a few daffodil leaves (that never produced flowers) were the only things left.

So, the next year we expected only one again - just like we had been told it would keep doing until it finally just died away. I don't know if the tulip knew there were people living in the house now or what, but it brought along two of its friends.

2006: Three part harmony...
For some (stupid) reason, I didn't take any pictures of the tulips in 2007. I know the number never went down and I think there were still three, but I can't be sure of that.

However, in 2008, the trio grew into a quintuplet. Unfortunately, I didn't take any pictures of them when they actually opened. (Apparently, my documentation skills used to really suck.)

2008: It's beginning to be a party!

Last year, 2009, they decided that five was just too boring and brought along two more friends:

2009: Lucky Number Seven

And this year, three more decided to join in. (In the picture only 9 are open, but the 10th will be any day now)

2010: We will soon rule the yard!
I've been considering building a bulb garden around the family tulips but I never do it. I'm curious to see how many are going to keep coming back without me doing anything. I know I should probably dig them up and see if they need separating, but I just can't make myself do it. They've been doing so well on their own for five years now, I don't have the heart to take over.

No comments:

Post a Comment