Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Ups and Downs of Gardening

Today's Weather: Sunny with a high of 53 degrees F

As I mentioned a few posts ago, our smoke bush recently had some cosmetic surgery (aka Pruning). I promised the after picture, so here it is:

I need a new barber


Yeah, it's not even half of what it used to be, but it could have been much worse. Last year a ton of new growth came from its previous pruning so hopefully it will do the same thing again this Summer.

In better news, do you see that yellow dot at the base of the Smoke Bush? No? Well, here's a better view:

One is the loneliest number...


'So what?' you ask? It's only a daffodil. But what's interesting about this daffodil is that it's the first time any of them have actually flowered in over ten years. As you can see behind the flower, we always get a lot of Daffodil leaves, but never any blooms. I was rather stunned when I saw that one had actually developed a flower.

Does anyone know how I can get the others to do the same? Do they just need to be dug up and separated? They were planted probably over twenty years ago and I was told they used to cover a large part of the yard, including where the Smoke Bush now resides.

Also developing flower buds is the Lilac Bush.

Future Purple Flowers


I always associate Lilacs with my grandmother so it thrilled me when I realized that this was a Lilac Bush when we moved in five years ago.

Nothing smells better on a sunny, Spring day than the fragrance of Lilacs.

5 comments:

  1. I planted some daffodils over ten years ago. They bloomed the following year and then not again until last year. I have no idea why.
    BUT, a few years ago I did start using bone meal on all my bulbs at least once a year. Maybe that did it? It couldn't hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When your daffodil plants start to droop, resist the temptation to cut them back. They draw their nutrients from the leaves for next year. Just let the leaves die down naturally. When I lived in England I observed that folks there would tie the droopy leaves up in little bundles so they wouldn't look so messy. I think they sell fertilizer for daffodils that you apply during the fall.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jesus, that's some real severe pruning there! Did you use a chainsaw???

    ReplyDelete
  4. Try some bonemeal for your daffodils. They may be lacking enough in nutrients that it takes that long between blooms to store up enough. And Deborah is right-don't cut back the foliage!
    And good luck with your smoke bush. I have a husband that does stuff like that too. Sigh....

    ReplyDelete
  5. IG - yes, a chainsaw was used. The FIL is not known for his subtlety. It's not the way I would have done it, but it's not my property, so...

    As for the Daffodil foliage, it's never been cut down before dying naturally - at least not while I've been here. I'm guessing it's the lack of nutrients.

    ReplyDelete