Saturday, April 10, 2010

Still too cold

Today's weather: Most cloudy until around 2:00 and then sun, sun, sun. Too bad it was still in the lower 50's.

Got some more garden work done today. I didn't think I was going to be able to. When I woke up, it was cloudy, very windy and cold. So, I gathered some rocks and washed them so that I could use them for some craft projects.

But, the sun finally came out and I was able to do some early weeding. I always wait too long and end up having to spend several hours weeding. This year, I'm determined to not let that happen and pull the weeds as I see them. Today, it only took me 15 minutes to pull what has already sprouted.

And, in the process I found that my Iris bulbs have started leafing. I guess I'm not going to move them after all. Not this year, anyway.

Also, a Clematis vine I planted last year that did absolutely nothing is already bigger than it was by the end of the summer last year - about two inches. I bought it cheap and figured it was a dud. I'll let it keep growing and see what happens.

5 comments:

  1. It will be interesting to see how your cheap clematis turns out this year. It could be your most prized plant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boy, it was cold today. The wind was the worst. Thankfully it subsided by afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. After I went out to walk around the garden today and discovered how cold and brutal that wind was, I decided to put off all outside work until tomorrow. It's hard to believe these are actually *normal* temperatures for April; we've been spoiled. -Jean

    ReplyDelete
  4. Waiting for Spring is still one of the adjustments I still haven't made since moving to Maine. I lived most of my life in the South which has about, oh, two weeks of winter and then BOOM! - it's full blaze Summer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We had the high wind on Saturday too! But it was blowing in such a way that made raking leaves off the flower beds go so much faster. hehe

    I know how you feel about the weeds. If we wait too long, it's a royal pain to get them out. I noticed how much grass creeped into my flower beds as I raked yesterday. eek!

    ReplyDelete