Monday, April 26, 2010

Can you spot the Andrews Sisters reference?

Today's Weather: 65 degrees F, currently sunny, showers possible later today

This weekend was another beautiful weekend, despite the rainy forecast. This year, the forecasters have been consistently wrong. Maybe I should just stop using the Weather channel for making any kinds of plans.

So, since I was feeling better, I was able to do some work in the garden. I'm still cash poor at the moment so I worked on my existing Phlox bed next to the detached garage.

I've tried several things to make this area look better. I put up some fencing one year, but did it too close to the plants so that by the end of the summer the fencing was pretty much invisible. It also didn't help with the dandelion problem at all.

Last year, I just lined it with rocks. Again, I placed them too close and by the end of the summer - yes, they had also disappeared.

So, this year, I lined the bed with some plastic liner AND the rocks - but I made sure to pull it back.

So, here's how it looked before:






And here's a couple of 'after' shots:






I'm still not completely done. I need to pull the grass and weeds around the Phlox and then mulch the area. I know I'll probably never be able to completely rid myself of the dandelions inside the bed, but hopefully I can stunt their growth.

Yeah, I know. But I can dream, can't I?

3 comments:

  1. You can eat the dandelion greens, or fry up some dandelion flower fritters!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm actually not a dandelion hater. I love seeing them every Spring. I just don't like them inside flower beds.

    I've read many recipes using dandelions but still haven't tried any. I really should since we have a ton of them in our yard. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. put lots and lots of mulch on, like straw...and about 20 cm high..it will settle in in a few days, water it well, it will compact it...that will keep your weeds away...and it feeds the soil and encourages earthworms...

    ReplyDelete