Wednesday, March 17, 2010

First Post...but not my first garden

This Spring I will be planting my fifth garden.

I've been interested in gardening since I was in high school. I have always been an avid reader and in one of my teen romance novels, the main character used gardening to calm her nerves. The writer was obviously a gardener herself (or did excellent research) and made digging in the dirt sound like the most relaxing thing to do, ever.

Really wish I could find that book.

Thing was, I and my parents lived in rented houses at the time in the middle of rather large towns and therefore did not have a garden. At the time I didn't even think about container gardening and besides, knowing me at the time, I would just start a container and then forget all about it within a week.

So, over the years, I've been waiting for a good time to have a garden. It finally came about in the Spring of 2006. My husband and I had moved to his family farm house in Maine in the winter of 2004. The following growing season just wasn't a good time to start so I waited another year.

So far, that first year has still been my best. Everything grew fast and large, I didn't have any bug problems and all of my vegetable plants yielded a high number of fruit. All of our relatives were frankly shocked, especially since we had a large deer population in the area. The leaves weren't nibbled even once.

Since that first year I've had bug problems, powdery mildew and all the normal travails of a gardener. Deer still haven't been much of a problem, but I give my dog the credit for that. I think the deer simply smell her around and don't come very close to the house, which is fine with me.

I've tried to keep track of my growing practices and keep a record of what works and what doesn't. I'm pretty organized but I never could get myself to update that damn spreadsheet. And since I enjoy reading other gardening blogs, I thought, why not just start my own and use it for posting my thoughts on gardening AND keeping track of what I do over the seasons?

So, here it is, My Maine Garden Blog. Since it's only halfway through March there won't be much to post for the next month or so, so I'll do some posting of pictures of things I did for the past four growing seasons until things do start to pick up.

So, if you care to join my on my Adventures in Gardening, welcome! I hope I at least don't bore you.

No comments:

Post a Comment